Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Good news.

I had my appointment this morning to get my stitches out and to get the results of my tests. I was obviously really nervous to get my results. If tests showed cancer I was facing more surgery as well as cancer treatments and worst of all...I wouldn't be able to go back to nursing school in three weeks! If it showed NO cancer, that's it. I'm done. I go on with my life and go back to school and put all this behind me. I wanted to be told it was benign SO bad but I was mentally preparing myself to hear the worst. I halfway expected to hear that I had cancer and I was going to be really proud of myself about how well I was going to handle it. I was going to be stoic and brave and calm and then fall apart later in private. So when he said "Well, the good news is that everything came back benign"...I almost didn't know how to react. I only practiced my "bad news" reaction! I felt like I wanted to cry and I KNEW if I looked at my mom I would lose it so I just kept my eyes on the doctor. Once we left, my mom and I both fell apart in the elevator. We got some looks but I couldn't hold in the tears anymore! I felt so relieved and happy and overwhelmed with gratitude that I'M DONE! I don't have to think about this anymore. I don't have any doctors appointments to go to in the near future! I've been to over a dozen appointments these last few months and now I'm done! Just like that! I don't even care that I look like someone tried to murder me. I'm embracing my scarred neck. ( I may have to purchase a cute necklace or two..I think that's fair.) Gage said the scar looks like a smiley face...and it does! Thanks to everyone who was rooting for us to have good news. Thanks for everything...everybody! I can't even believe that we're this lucky to have the greatest friends, family and neighbors in the world! Tonight I'm tired and my neck hurts and I have a headache but I'm one happy chicka!

Before and after pix....
WITH stitches:


WITHOUT stitches:

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Hooray!

The Brereton Family! said...

yeah!!!! I love the scar it does look like a smiley face!

Mark and Karen said...

Didn't you know scars are sexy?! Again, congrats...that is really good news!

ducklips said...

I'm so glad everything ended okay. Better than okay, great. What an emotional roller coaster. I cried just reading your post.

Along with everyone else, I love your scar.

sarah goodman said...

HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY FOR YOU! This is great news! And what a great conversation piece on your neck! :) I have a coupla huge scars on my arms that are great conversation starters and had a whopper tumor taken out of my little boobie many years ago and they thought it was cancer...I am SO glad that you have good news!
chat soon!