Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Break in Italy

Well, it's March again and that means Joey got to take his annual trip to Europe. For the past several years he has taken a big group of high school students (and any adults that want to go, too) to Europe. This year they went to Italy. I usually go with Joey (to support him...not for any selfish reasons) but this year I'm immersed in nursing school so I let Gage go in my place. This is Gage's second time to Europe. He went to an Explorica convention in Spain with his Dad about 2 years ago and fell in love with world travel. Just like the rest of us. We love to travel! My sister and brother-in-law went as well to help Joey lead the group. The first stop on the tour of Italy was in Milan.

In the airport....Gage told me he actually likes the long flights! It took them almost 24 hours to arrive due to a 5 hour layover in London.


After arriving in Milan they went directly to the hotel for a good nights sleep. In the morning they woke up and took a boat tour to an island on a lake in Milan. (I think...help me out if I get any of this wrong Tia and Justin. It's hard to blog about something when you WEREN'T THERE!) This is Joey and Gage with their tour director, Luchi. Joey's used Luchi for several years and loves her! (As a friend.)
Verona, Italy: In front of the famous Juliet's balcony (from Romeo and Juliet). It's the balcony on the far left.This statue underneath Juliet's balcony is supposed to help you find a mate if you rub the right breast. I think...maybe it's supposed to bring you luck. Which one, Tia? Again...it's hard to blog about something when you didn't take the tour. Either way, my boys didn't rub....so they say.
Joey and Gage enjoying romantic Venice! I went to Italy a few years ago but Venice wasn't one of the cities we went to. I'm slightly annoyed that my son got to enjoy it with Joey instead of me! Dang school!



Joey and my sister...Tia. She's an art major and enjoyed the art way more than anyone else I think. They didn't understand why she wanted to spend so much time just staring at paintings! I would have understood if I was there, Tia.

The staple to Gage's diet was definitely McDonalds. He was so excited because they served curly fries in the McDonald's!

Florence, Italy: This cathedral is made of pink, green and white marble. It's enormous and so beautiful!

It's supposed to bring you luck if you rub the pig's nose. I don't know what happens if you PICK the nose...probably nothing good.


Lots of paintings and such on ceilings.......
Assisi, Italy: Home of the famous St. Francis of Assisi!


I think more than anything, Gage enjoyed all the "older women" on the trip. He's a self proclaimed ladies man and really liked all the attention from the high school girls. I gave my sister strict instructions to keep the girls away from my son! She tried her best and I don't think she made any friends doing it either. Thanks, T!

Rome, Italy: I love Rome! I love everything about Rome. The Colosseum, The Roman Forum...everything! I think Gage really was impressed by it, too. It's amazing!

Tia!? Where are you? Too close, Gage!! Tia!!!! I do NOT like that my baby is growing up and I especially don't like how girl crazy he is.
Vatican City...The Pope was not home unfortunately. Last time we were there he came to the window and blessed the crowd. That was interesting! The people went nuts!





The Trevi Fountain... throw in a coin and you will return there one day. Joey and Gage both threw in some coins to ensure we would be back!
Gage couldn't believe all the nudity in Italy! We constantly drill into him to not look at "bad things" and to keep his mind and thoughts clean. Then we take him to Italy where we proceed to surround him with statues and paintings full of naked men, women and children. How do you explain to a 12 year old boy that it's not okay to look at a picture of a naked woman unless you're in a museum in Italy...then it's considered art. Hmmm? Explain that one!
The boys had a great time and came home safe and sound. Joey had a little trouble with his back but thankfully Tia and Justin were there to help him lead the group. Next years trip is to France and Spain. If anyone wants to go just leave me a comment or email me and I'll get you the info on how to sign up. It's a great price and includes everything (hotel, plane, tours, breakfast and dinner, ect.) The only thing it doesn't include is lunch. Should be fun!

P.S. They also went to Pisa to see the leaning tower but I don't have those pictures. They're on my sisters camera so I will be adding those later.

7 comments:

Stacy said...

Pretty close Hanny! The lake was in Como, about an 1 hour from Milan. And thats not Juliets balcony but it was in Verona! :) It is hard when youre not there. Also....I did my best to keep the girls away! Any pictures with them and Gage was Joeys doing!!

Alisa said...

That's not Juliets balcony? Are you sure? Why is the statue of Juliet under it? I was misinformed by someone (Joey). I do apologize.

Kristi said...

Jason and would LOVE to go next year! Count us in!

Kristi said...

oops! That would be Jason and I........ I guess I'm a little more tired than I thought! Loved all the pictures of Gage and Joey! What a great experience!

The Young's said...

Looks like they had a great time. My sister left today, to go to Italy. Next year its Greece for her. Lucky! :)

Alisa said...

Kristi-

I left you a message on Facebook on how to sign up! Yea! It's going to be SO much fun!

The Brereton Family! said...

Alisa! I love Italy!! So jealous that they got to go. How fun for Gage though. We're hoping to return back when the Temple in Rome is dedicated.