Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Keep going...there's more!


MYKONOS:

Our first port of call was on the beautiful island of Mykonos. We only had a few hours here, which was a bummer because it was such a cute little place and we only got to explore a bit of it. We saw the islands mascot which is a HUGE pelican. The picture of it didn't turn out...so sad. It was enormous!



KUSADASI, TURKEY:

The next morning we gratefully arrived in Turkey. This was after a very stormy night at sea! We watched the huge waves out our cabin window before going to bed and it made me a little nervous ,I have to say!

So we got to Kusadasi and there was not really any ruins or sites that we could go see. Really the only thing we could do there was shop! Which was an experience! Joey and Justin went back to the boat after a little while so Tia and I were on our own. We wandered up and down the little alleys that are full of little shops and there were clusters of Turkish men just standing around staring at us. We kept wondering "Where's all the women?" It was only men in the shops. They were very friendly but downright pushy. If you even glanced at any of their merchandise they would pounce! "Oh! You like magnet? I have more magnet! Come in shop! Come in! I show you!" And then you feel like you have to look at all the magnets in the shop and then you feel bad if you walk out with out buying one. Eventually, we figured out that you just can't make eye contact. You just have to be a little rude because they are so PUSHY! After a little while, I started to feel uneasy. I wondered if we were safe. Here we are in Turkey, in the back alleys of Turkey, surrounded by groups of men that are not hiding the fact that they are staring us up and down. There were very few other tourist around. Finally, I told my sister that we needed to get back to the boat. I just felt weird. Our tour guide assured us that it is very safe but I've learned that when the Spirit tells me that something is not right, I should listen.

Turkey had some neat stuff for sale, but not much else to do. On to the next island!!

PATMOS:

Joey and I were really looking forward to seeing Patmos. This is where John the Revelator spent two years in exile. We were able to go to the Holy Cave where he had his vision and the Book of Revelations was written. Below is the picture of the ledge that it was written on (it's kind of hard to see) and the crack in the wall that appeared when he heard Gods voice. After this picture was taken we found out "NO PICTURES ALLOWED!" It's not fun to get yelled at by a monk!


The view from the monestary! I have to say, if you have to be exiled...this is the place to do it! Beautiful!
Back to the boat after sightseeing!









5 comments:

Stacy said...

What is with my neck in the last Mykonos picture?! Really, sheesh. And I love in the picture of us shopping in Turkey you can see the two men in the background watching us! Good times.

Alisa said...

Oh my goodness! I don't know! i didn't notice until you just pointed it out! It looks like you're neck grew three inches and shifted to the left in that picture! Don't worry, I'm sure it's just the camera angle or somthing...

Alisa said...

I didnt notice those two men either! Good eye! That was so typical...brings back memories!

Stacy said...

Yeah, its definitely the camera angle...or maybe your camera. You might want to have that looked at.

Alisa said...

Definately my camera. Somethings wrong with it because I KNOW my butt is not that big!!! Someone would have told me, right?