Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Beecroft Curse Strikes Again.....

Anyone who knows us Beecroft girls, knows that we have a problem. We call it the Beecroft Curse. All the women in the family have it. My Granny was the worst but we all have it to some degree or another. It's bad. Really bad. Even more troubling is that I'm seeing signs of "the Curse" in my boys...mostly Drey...but tonight Gage had a run in with it as well. The "CURSE" as we like to call it...can happen at any time...usually at the most inappropriate times imaginable. Funerals, sacrament meeting, in the temple, talking on the phone with painting clients, listening to the Home Teachers give a spiritual message, any time that you want to conduct yourself with dignity, the Curse will strike. Something will happen, sometimes it's not even FUNNY! But something will happen that will tickle our funny bone and thats it....uncontrollable giggling. Laughter that is so hard that it is painful. You know you are humiliating yourself...you WANT to stop laughing. You WANT to be able to control yourself and quit making a spectacle... but you can't. It can go on for endless minutes, as others around you just stare wondering "What is so funny? I don't get it." Even if you try to explain why you're laughing, they just look at you with a blank look. It's awful. It sounds fun..it's not.




Tonight, Gage had a clarinet concert. I think you can see where this is going. He looked so handsome in his suit. He had a speaking part, which he nailed. The first two songs were played without a hitch. Then during the third song, the clarinets had a solo. There are only three clarinet players, Gage and two girls. They were in the front row of the band. I'm watching Gage, thinking how good he's gotten in the two years he's been playing clarinet when all the sudden, in the middle of the clarinet solo..."SKWEEEEEK!" That awful off key sound. I was watching Gage so I saw his facial expression and I knew it was him that did it! Then he bows his head and I can see his shoulders shaking in laughter. I was like "Oh no! Pull it together Gage!" He was right in the front row! He kept trying to get back to the song but kept giggling! I could feel the giggles bubbling up in me as well. It was all I could do to keep it in. I finally had to put my head down and not look at him or else I knew I would lose it. Finally, when I glanced up I could see that he had gotten himself under control. I have to give him credit. He was able to get it together pretty quickly. If it had been me in my 6th grade band concert, I probably wouldn't have stopped until I had peed my pants. It's a horrible thing. A sickness. I hope my kids don't inherit it to the extent that my sisters and I have it.

This is one freaking handsome kid. Every time he puts on his suit..it melts me!!!

5 comments:

Mombee said...

All I can say is "O dear"!!!
PS Band concerts and the like would be an excellent thing to put on the family calendar!!

Alisa said...

Oops. Sorry. I forgot. I will put those things on the calendar in the future. It's probably good that you weren't there though. Between the two of us we really could have made a scene!

Alisa said...

BK- I can't get on your blog for some reason....will you tell me how to get the family calendar on my blog so I can remember to look at it and add things? Thx bro.

The Rich-Ardos said...

Oh- Hanny, I thought you were talking about the "other curse". For the first half of the post I thought you were about to share our secrets with the whole free world! Not every one can eat beans with us...we don't have a bowl big enough to share.

Alisa said...

Min- I would never.