Monday, April 21, 2008

Harris Family Garden...PART:1




So for about a month, I kept having the same feeling...that we needed to start a garden. I mean, here we are, living on an acre of land that just sits there. Not producing anything. I planted an orange tree and a grapefruit tree about 9 years ago but I killed the grapefruit tree within a year (my dad told me to fertilize it but never told me not to use the ENTIRE bag of fertilizer at once! That was a valuable piece of info....I'm not placing any blame, Dad) My orange tree survived the botched fertilizing job but has yet to produce fruit...in 9 years!! So, obviously I didn't inherit my dads green thumb...so I was hesitant to start a garden. It seemed like an overwhelming task to take on. I knew I would need Joeys help and didn't see him being able to do it. Not only does he work full time at Hamilton, he also teaches nights at the college and also works for Dishtech, not to mention his Stake calling and his Ward calling. He's busy and I didn't think he would be supportive of my garden idea. Then, Saturday night, out of the blue, we're on our date eating at Garcia's (good Chicken Avocado Salad by the way) and Joey says to me " I've been having this feeling lately that we should start a garden." I was like "WHAT? I've been having the same feeling!!" I couldn't believe it! Then I thought... uh oh...I hope this doesn't mean hard times are coming our way. But just in case we decided that since we BOTH had the feeling independently that we should act on it. So we thought it would be a good idea to make it a family project. So tonight, for Family Home Evening, phase one of the Harris Family Garden was started. We had a lesson on gardens, and year supply, and provident living and then we loaded into the mini van and headed to Home Depot. The kids were totally on board with the idea and so excited to get started! We let each of them pick out a vegetable to grow. Joey picked jalepenos and chili peppers, I wanted squash and tomatoes and cucumbers, Gage wanted carrots, Delly wanted cantelope and Drey wanted watermelon and corn. Avery just wanted flowers so we're going to plant some sunflowers for shade. Okay, we were totally out of our element trying to buy what we needed. My dad told me what type of soil to buy so we bought some...I have no idea if we bought enough. We wandered around totally lost and confused...we bought some Miracle Grow because it seems like that would be a good idea and I remember seeing some at my Dads. We decided to buy some seeds and some plants that were already started, just in case we couldn't get our seeds to grow. I want to be positive, but I'm also a realist! I hope Heavenly Father blesses our efforts because we really are out of our element! We came home and picked out a spot in our backyard that would have some evening shade. We set about trying to till up the earth and quickly realized that we couldn't do it by hand. Joey went back to Home Depot to rent a machine to till up the ground. That was worth every penny!! So stay tuned for Part 2 of Harris Family Gardening Adventures. We hope to get the plants and seeds planted tomorrow.
I have no idea why I have random odd spaces everywhere on this post. It's a mystery and I'm too tired to figure it out....gardening is tiring!!!

4 comments:

Mombee said...

I love this garden blog! At the beginning everyone is happy and working and in the end it is dark and Joey is working and Hanny is pointing. (Telling him what to do?) Good luck on your garden! I'm sure it will be rewarding!

Alisa said...

Yes, that's exactly how it was. I think the excitement level will really drop off when it comes time to get out there in the heat and weed and water. That might be when I struggle, too. I'm gonna try my best,though. It just seems so much easier to go over to your place and pick some fresh veggies out of your "master" garden. This will be good for the kids, though.

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh! We are all on the same page. We planted a garden last weekend! It's my next blog I need to post. Logan is doing it for his Family Life merit badge. They have to do a family "project". Now that Gage is 12 he could pobably do the same. Just a thought! Anyway, much luck to you and your garden. The pictures were great.

The Rich-Ardos said...

Oh- we started a garden too...I guess you're going to have to paint from now on ;) Not really, but do trees count? Can you eat the leaves if times were hard?