Thursday, April 24, 2008

Harris Family Garden: Part 2

This MUST be some kind of record! FOUR posts in one week!! I'll slow down now, I promise!


So, as a family, we have learned some valuable lessons in gardening....


1. When buying vegetables to plant, read the label and find out if it is the right time of year to plant said vegetable. We bought carrots but unfortunately for Gage, you have to plant those in winter. So we went and got strawberries instead.


2. When hacking away at the ground with a shovel while a 2 year old is playing nearby, watch where she's putting her hands and feet. Delly is lucky she still has all her toes! Seriously!


3. It's best to garden in the early morning and evening. Afternoon heat in Arizona...not good.


4. Invest in a pair of gardening gloves. I think the picture speaks for itself.


So our garden is planted. It was stinking hard work..I'm not gonna lie. In our FHE lesson Joey told a story about a little old lady who lived by herself and all her kids wanted her to come and live with them but she refused to leave her garden. Now, after putting in the work I think that story is a bunch of baloney. There's no way a little 85 yr old lady could do this, is there? I'm sore from head to toe. I'm sunburned, blistered, my legs feel like I did 3000 squats (which I probably did.) I don't see how old people garden..I really don't.



The kids did so great with the whole project. No grumbling! I was surprised. The only thing close to a complaint I heard was Drey saying "Why can't we just buy our corn from Bashas?" It's not a perfect garden by any means. The rows are not straight and we may or may not have some cantelope seeds planted with the radish seeds (Delly dumped a whole package of cantelope seeds in the row where we were planting radishes.) But it really does feel good to have a garden planted. It will feel even better this summer when we are eating fresh corn and squash and strawberries!! Can't wait!
What do you think, Dad? Does it meet your high standards of approval?

8 comments:

Brandon Beecroft said...

Awesome! I can't wait for your strawberries to come in. Let us know, if that's not too inconvenient for you like other family affairs have been in the past, specifically Gage's event, and we'll have some strawberry shortcake! Woohoo!

Alisa said...

You're such a brat!!! Haven't you ever heard of forgive and forget? Maybe it's time to dust off the old scriptures and read a little bit about forgiveness. Sheesh....

The Rich-Ardos said...

Easy on the "old people" comment. Don't want to offend any sensitive folk out there!

Brandon Beecroft said...

I would dust them off, but then I would probably start sneezing so bad that my heart would stop because they say that when you sneeze your heart stops and then I would die and I wouldn't be ready yet cause I didn't read my scriptures! See the conundrum I am in?

Alisa said...

I apologize to any old folks out there that may be offended by my comment. I merely meant to say how amazing it is that they can still garden...seeing how it is a lot of work and I'm not even old. I'm gonna shut up now.

Alisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

Great looking garden! Our is a whole lot smaller but hopefully we too will be enjoying the fruits of our "LABOR" soon!

Stacy said...

I havent had internet for a week so I am just catching up on your posts! Im glad Averys tooth drama is over. Your garden is awesome and I hope you share your squash. I was laughing so hard about Gages band concert...it does sound like a funny problem to have but it is sure not funny when its over and the shame sets in. Im glad he was able to pull it together, maybe there is hope for him yet! I too thought you were about to tell every one about our "other curse". Some beans are not meant to be shared. Good times.