Thursday, May 1, 2008

"It really worked!!"

I have to say, I am really enjoying this gardening thing! Who would have thought? When we first started the garden and I was engaged in battle with the ground (thats what it felt like) when I was filling in gopher holes and pulling endless weed after weed and taking out rock after rock and gagging when I accidentally squished an earthworm with my bare fingers....I was like "What have we started? This sucks!" But now, we have the garden in place and it's just a matter of nurturing it. It's become like therapy for me. Every night, after dinner, I quietly sneak out to the garden to water it and weed it. It's cool and calm out there. Even when I can hear Delly screaming because Dreys making "monster noises" and Avery's crying because someone scribbled on her homework and Gage is yelling "Mom, you forgot to wash my baseball socks!!" and I can hear the phone ringing and Joey calling "Kids! Where's your mother?" Somehow, I just tune it all out and peacefully water my strawberries and enjoy the feeling of my blood pressure lowering. Is it wrong to have a hiding place? Is it wrong to hear "Mom, Delly's poopy!" and to just keep on watering away and let someone else (Joey) handle it? I love my retreat. I was even happier last night when I discovered this:Thats right! My seeds have sprouted up! I was so happy...ridiculously happy because a part of me was expecting total failure with this garden. I was so overjoyed that I opened the back door and called to the kids to come to the garden. That's right, I invited them into my retreat. I wanted to show them what all that hard work had produced. I wish I would have had my camera on me to capture Drey's face. He looked at the little sprouts and his eyes got all huge and he said "It really worked!" with a huge grin on his face. I guess he was a little dubious that it would work,too.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I am so excited for you! When our garden first showed signs of life we could hardly contain or joy too!I hope they continue to grow! Much luck to you.

ducklips said...

Congratulations on your garden. Not only the sprouts, but the sanctuary as well. I think sometimes Mom's need a place to go and hide.

Thanks for the concern on my blog. I know I seem pretty calm on the outside, but that is just because I hide emotions pretty well. Atleast I think. Dad is doing a little better, but it's going to be a long haul. I'll tell you more about it in person.

ltandjbcox said...

Surprise!! Probably never expected to hear from Leigh and I. I just want to say that I am so proud of your gardening efforts. It is a beautiful thing.

With all the counsel to be prepared it is very wise to help our kids learn the art of gardening. Without getting all choked up, just let me say. Good Job.

I know Justin loves your family, Joey especially. . . Peas of a pod. . .what can you say?