Monday, May 19, 2008

The End of an Era...


I never thought I would be able to do it....but here I am in week 4 of not watching Days of our Lives! Woo-hoo! It all started when I brought Gage home from the hospital as a newborn, 12 years ago. For the first time in my life I was home ALL day long. I didn't have to be at school or at work or running around with my friends. I was at home, alone, with a little person that slept all day. That's when I got hooked on the soap Days of our Lives. It was so addicting....I HAD to know what happened! I hated it when I missed an episode (this was PRE-DVR). Once we got our dish and I could record all my shows to watch later, it was easy to get behind. Last month, Joey sat me down on the couch to have a "show-intervention". He scrolled down the list of recorded shows (all mine except for Lost which belongs to both of us) and I had like 44 hours of shows that I had recorded but just not had the time to watch. There were 30 HOURS of Days of our Lives recorded! Lets face it, it's Monday thru Friday so it adds up quick! We talked about it and somehow he was able to convince me to "let Days go." His powers of persuasion sometimes amaze me! Anyways, I realized that with nursing school getting ready to start that I really needed to cut back on the TV shows. They were almost a burden because it was just one more thing "to do". Gotta catch up on Days! I couldn't do it so I had Joey delete ALL thirty hours of Days! I also trimmed the fat on some of my other shows...Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor, and a few others. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I really miss Days! I'm DYING to know if John got his memory back or if Max ever was able to tell Stephanie that he loved her (really, Max, it's not that hard!) or if EJ gets deported or if Kayla loses her baby! I know. I'm pathetic. So as a tribute to an era of my life, I added "These are the Days of our Lives" to my Blog title. My life is sometimes better than a soap opera anyways!

9 comments:

The Rich-Ardos said...

I hope you can make it through without your "stories" to think about. Thank goodness I didn't succumb to peer pressure and start watching with you girls...looks like you would have left me high and dry!

Brandon Beecroft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon Beecroft said...

Well said Min! And really how many times does John have to lose his memory before you become bored? Seriously, glad to see you are cutting back :)

Alisa said...

This is only the third time that John has lost his memory I'll have you know. It could happen!!

Justin said...

hanny, just so you know, tia is still so far behind we don't know if Bo is gonna get his transplant form Chelsea. we only have one tv and tia has beaten me down so much that i continue to watch with her. you can actually just record it once a week and i think you will stay up to date.

Stacy said...

BOO on Joey! You will be back...WooAhhhhaahah (evil laugh). Dont worry, I'll keep you up to date so when you finally do come back to your senses you wont be too confused.

Alisa said...

Hey! Where's the support people? Min- you're lucky you stayed strong and never watched with us. Plus, if you would have you probably wouldn't be Moms favorite anymore.

Charlotte said...

I support you Alisa, but not with Days! I've been watching Y&R since age 14 (you know, 10 years ago,LOL)! But, it is sad when I can go a year without watching and still understand what's going on. So don't worry one day, years from now, you'll catch up.

ducklips said...

I am so proud of you giving up your addiction. It can get really bad. My brother, I'm not saying which one, once faked sick for a whole week to watch General Hospital.
You will feel so much more free now that you don't have all these fake lives weighing you down.;)