Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day

Generally, I look forward to Mothers Day all year. It's a day I get cute notes and what not from my kids and everyone treats me like a queen. It's the greatest. This year was no exception. All the kids made cute little notes and crafts for me. Avery made me a cute watermelon bell but unfortunately Delly decided she wanted to take a bath with it so all the paint came off. Joey and I were going to go out for a Mothers Day "special evening" last night but Joey ended up having to go out of town for work. He was gonna try to make it back early so we could still go but it just didn't happen. It actually works out pretty good for me because now he has guilt and wants to make it up to me. Of course, I can't resist throwing in a few comments like "Really, honey, I don't mind. You have your priorities. Work is important to you. I can wait." Just twisting the knife a little. Then when he finally did make it home last night he was exhausted. I could tell just by looking at him. He took a shower and started to get dressed. I asked him where he was going and he said he had to "do" something. I'm no dummy and I know my husband pretty well so I had an inkling that he hadn't gotten me anything for Mothers Day and he was gonna sneak off to try to do some late night shopping. I told him to get in bed and that I didn't need a present. He was like " No, no, no, it's just not right. I need to go. I'll be right back." Finally, I convinced him that his present to me could be to NOT get killed tonight by falling asleep at the wheel. So he went to bed after promising me that he was gonna "make it up to me." I love it! The power!

This morning we all gathered at Granny Harris house for a Mothers Day breakfast. It was delightful! Kim makes a mean waffle and Cindy...I like your bacon. Don't worry. It's a fine line between burnt and undercooked. I struggle with that myself! I ate so much I was happy that I had sweat pants on. Elastic waistbands are sometimes a beautiful thing. By the time Sacrament meeting started later that morning I felt like I was about to go into a food coma, I was so sleepy!
Avery was so excited to "help" Granny open her presents and show her the card that we all made for her. For dinner we headed over to my moms house. The Tucson Beecrofts made it up for a visit and we took some family pictures. We didn't get the memo that we were having a family picture so we woke up from our Sunday naps, threw on some wrinkly T-shirts, and headed over for dinner. So we're all looking pretty ghetto in the family pictures! Oh well. My mom wanted roast beef tacos for dinner.. Mindy busted out with some quality bean dip....my sister tried to steal my thunder by bringing strawberry shortcake for dessert when we all knew that I was bringing dessert. Nobody wanted my strawberry cake with lemon frosting. They all wanted HER shortcake. I'm okay with it, though. If she needs to do that to build herself up, it's okay. We're still friends. It was a great dinner and a great Mothers Day!
I could NOT decide what to get my mom for Mothers Day. I was at a complete loss this year. Then I saw the orchids at Sams Club and I knew! They were absolutely gorgeous and I knew she would love them. I took them home and the more I looked at them the more I loved them! You know you love someone when you buy them a gift that YOU want to keep so bad but you give it to them anyways! Hope you enjoy them, Mom! It's for the best that you have them because now they have a chance to stay alive!

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Happy Mothers day! Looks like you had a busy one. Let's do lunch! Call me:)

Stacy said...

Hanny, I am so offended that you would suggest that I would do such a thing! I mean really, I'm sorry that my shortcake was just so much better than your store bought cake. And I'm sorry that they would pick my dessert if the ship was sinking and they could only save one.

Alisa said...

Are you telling me that you made that pound cake from scratch? And you grew those strawberries in your garden? I didn't realize that. I apologize wholeheartedly. At least I don't paint cats!! Let's just be friends. I'm sorry for the cat comment. It was uncalled for.

Stephanie Shumway said...

LOL- Love your blog- I followed a link from Kristi Whetton's blog. Keep up the good work! It's way cute! Kuddos on the garden!